Saturday 31 August 2013

In which I become a mushroom farmer

'
Here is @CourierGo's mushroom farm all laid out, complete with the end-of-life book from Oxfam that will act as the field. It has a broken spine and looks like a historical romance, in which a young woman becomes pregnant after the local laird forces his attentions on her. Meanwhile, his wife is desperate to conceive but can't. @OxfamBooksTW  offered me several options from the recycling heap -- a Roget's Thesaurus and a copy of Middlemarch with a torn cover (both of these were too thick).

I thought it would be a fun activity to do with Alec,  but when I invited him to come and help he ran away shouting about Rastamouse. His loss.

First I soaked the book. It bubbled a lot and I left it in for longer than the recommended 15 minutes because Bettany started rooting and chewing on her fists so I had to bub her, and then she needed a nappy change and then Alec wanted help with the pot and would I find him another episode of Rastamouse.

Next I had to spread the spawn on the pages -- every 40 pages or so. It's mixed in with millet seed. I'm sure there's a good reason for that and before I had children I would have researched it and reported back. These days, I just accept most things in the same way that I accept all the physics stuff that stops us flying off into the sun. I think I'm happier for that.

The last stage is elastic banding the sodden spawn-stuffed book so it stays shut and stuffing it into the bag provided. I don't have a photo of that because Rastamouse finished.

3 comments:

  1. 'These days, I just accept most things in the same way that I accept all the physics stuff that stops us flying off into the sun. I think I'm happier for that.'

    Absolutely. Love this post, and hope you enjoy lots of lovely mushrooms on toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - really nice insight into all the small explorations of the the world that are still possible (and sometimes encouraged) while mothering small people. And all the things that you let go through lack of time and headspace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm getting more headspace now -- we're coming out of the newborn tunnel with Bettany. It's nice to have the time and energy, but also slightly scary because I've got to find things other than I'VE JUST HAD A BABY to achieve.

    ReplyDelete